Sunday, August 7, 2011

Turning 100

So Lucille Ball would have been 100 years old yesterday.  Lots of people on Facebook and Twitter honored her memory with comments or little video clips.  The one I saw the most often was the candy factory snippet.  It still makes me laugh.

I don't think I ever knew anyone who successfully turned 100.  What I mean is had mobility of mind and body.  I have read about some people who are, I just don't personally know them.

I was at the Topton Home today after church.  I decided to visit Grace Schantz who is in her 90's and Marion Angstadt who is in her 80's and just had a hip replacement.

Grace
Grace is Daddy's cousin.  She has been in the Topton home for quite a few years.  I think she is quite lonely since her husband Fritz died last year.  She understands who Betsy, my brothers and I are, but does not get the expanded family.  I was talking about Mike and Julia celebrating 50 years of marriage this year and I don't think she could place Julia.  You know how someone nods but the eyes give it away?  I spent my time trying to think of conversations that centered either on her, son Tom or on us 5 kids.  I left soon after her lunch arrived.  You know - you guys really need to feed me some interesting stories or I'm going to have to make stuff up!

Marion
Marion is one of my new friends from church.  She will only be in the home until her rehab work is complete.  She is so grateful for everything, it makes you forget what a horrible year she is having.  Briefly, her husband fell is now a near invalid, she fell and the first operation didn't fix her hip so this one is replacing the hip,  between the hip fix and the replacement they found and treated a bleeding ulcer, her daughter-in-law suddenly died, her daughter is in treatment for cancer, and last week her sister died (and she couldn't go to the service).  She and her husband own a farm but no longer do the farming. 

Marion hornswaggled me into president of one women's group at church. Thankfully she is not leaving me in the lurch - she checks up on me when she knows some things need to happen.  It is like having Jiminy Cricket on your shoulder.  Today she cried when she was able to go to the church service because it had been so long since she was able to go.  We laughed a lot today.  She is a feisty one!

So the big question is, do I want to live to be 100?  Part of me says "Yes, absolutely!"  That part thinks I will be just like I am today (except maybe thinner) able to chase around the grand kids, watch sports, play golf, cook, entertain, and everything else.  If I have to live in a facility, I think the answer is a resounding "NO!"  The people there are really well cared for but whether you are amblatory or not, all have to be bored!  Looking around at most of the prople, they seem to have no purpose, no joy in their lives.  I don't want that.  So I'd better start flexing those muscles, lifting weights and walking if I hope to age successfully. 

Here's to JOY!  May you have it your whole life.

1 comment:

Jim said...

both Reuben Slotter and his wife lived to be over 100. He was still sharp at that age. She was unable to recall much of anything.
They were your great-grandparents. I was to their 75th wedding anniversary when they were both in their mid-nineties. You were probably a baby or toddler at that point.