Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chipmunks et al.

Since the deck is a bunch of support beams, the local wildlife is much more evident.  They can't scurry under the deck unseen and they have become quite brazen.  The birds are everywhere, the squirrels are entertaining but the most fun viewing is the chipmunks.
Wonder if this is Chip or Dale......

Look at his cheeks!  Any food I put out for the birds now is put away by the chipmunks.  They are really funny.  They run back and forth across the beams like they are having races.  They chase each other from one side to the other, but I never know what happens at either end because they jump down and disappear. 

I was throwing out old bread for the birds and I'm sure some birds do eat the bread because I caught this blue jay. 


I will stop feeding the birds because at this point I'm really not feeding the birds, I am feeding the squirrels and chipmunks!  Actually this time of year, the birds don't need my help.  Except for the hummingbirds.  I have a pretty feeder that only hummingbirds and - oh yes - ants - are interested in.  I will keep that one because we are on the hummingbird route.  I may also keep the goldfinch bag.  they are so pretty to see every day.
Now that summer is here, we don't see cardinals or blue jays in our yard.  It may have more to do with the construction than anything else.  Both are quite skittish.  I will be so glad when it is done.




1 comment:

Dave said...

I'm guessing no cats also helps keep the wildlife feeling a bit safer at your house these days : )