Sunday, March 27, 2011

Wildlife

We really enjoy watching wildlife and since Homer died, there is a lot more activity around our back yard.  Frankly we are encouraging the birds with feed, but it inevitably attracts chipmunks and squirrels, too.

One of the bird feeders is a suet cage.  And for the last three mornings, I found it on the ground.  It has a chain that ends in a hook to loop over a branch and attach it back onto the box.
As I go outside to hang it back up, I talk to the squirrels because I am sure that's who is doing it.  Yesterday morning, while giving my squirrel lecture, I decided to wrap the chain through the box a few times, sort of like a double knot for sneakers.  I figured at least it would slow them down.

When I got up this morning, I heard a really noisy crow - just cawing and yelling to whoever would listen.  When I looked out back, I realized my lectures were falling on deaf ears.  The culprits were not squirrels, but crows!  Here was this HUGE crow hanging on the suet box trying to pick the chain and get it off the tree.  And a second one sitting on the roof, cawing back at him.

It reminded me of a Saturday morning cartoon I used to watch as a kid.  Heckle and Jeckle were two trouble making magpies sure to make you laugh.  They were a cross between Bugs Bunny and Chip and Dale.  One had a British accent, the other a Brooklyn accent.  At any rate, they always made me laugh, and most always were foiled in the end (think Wylie Coyote).  We really had great cartoons. 
Update:  Again this morning, the suet box was on the ground.  So I hung it again with a different "double knot".  Let's hope that works.

No comments: