Monday, December 20, 2010

Everything On the Ground

I am really bothered by something.  Litter.

Bill and I were at a new Mexican restaurant a month or two ago.  There were four adults standing near our table chatting as they left the restaurant.  One man dropped a piece of paper so I picked it up, followed him and gave it back to him.  I figured it was dropped by accident.  It wasn't.  He looked at me like I had two heads, took the paper and as they left the restaurant, dropped it again.

There seems to be more and more litter everywhere.  Or perhaps I have become sensitized to it especially now that vegetation had died back and the trees, bushes and fields are mostly barren.  The farmers fields are scattered with plastic bags, the road outside our neighborhood has beer bottles, coffee cups, and other sorts of litter tossed from cars.  Just when did it become okay to throw your trash out of your car and onto the ground?

It isn't just our neighborhood either.  Look along the highways, if you haven't noticed before, pay attention to the paper, cups, car parts, truck treads, trash bags and I can't even keep listing the junk.  Do you know how many times I've seen a pair of shoes, a sock, other clothes?  How do you lose those things?

Stop littering once was an important message, wasn't it from the government?  Remember the Indian looking sadly over the landscape destroyed by littering?  Today I see an ad once or twice a year.

Anyway, it bugs me.  When we talk about it, Bill thinks that the companies whose trash we see most often like McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, etc. have responsibility for the trash.  I understand where he is coming from, but I don't agree.  What do you think?

3 comments:

Michelle Slotter said...

Eric was just commenting on this the other day. We had McDonalds bags on the ground outside of our house. When did it become ok to eat in your car and just roll down your window and toss your garbage?

I have to laugh about the discarded shoes or socks. Every day on my way to work I pass a discarded work boot as I turn onto the American Parkway. I always picture some guy limping home in one shoe!

Jim said...

Apparently life doesn't happen after the new year, eh??

Jim said...

Hard to follow a blog without any entries. Maybe once a year is enough for checking it??