Sunday, November 14, 2010

Christmas Movies

Every year at this time the Hallmark Channel runs back-to-back-to-back Christmas movies, usually on a Sunday.  I really like these sappy movies, but with few exceptions they really aren't movies about Christmas, they are heart-warming stories set in the Christmas season.  Actually the movie I love to see every year is "A Christmas Carol". 

There are so many movie versions of it that I can watch a different one each night and not run out of versions for a month!  I just looked it up, there are actually 32 adaptations of the Dicken's story! The Muppets, Mr. Magoo, Blackadder, Bugs Bunny, the Flintstones and Barbie all have their own versions.  While those are silly or fun, my favorites are the serious treatments.

Let's see, my favorite Scrooge actors are Patrick Stewart and George C. Scott.  I think they were the best.  I am looking forward to seeing both those versions in the coming weeks.  Of course, "It's a Wonderful Life"  and "A Christmas Story" (you'll shoot your eye out) are must see movies too. 

I just find it sad that the REAL Christmas story is best told in "A Charlie Brown Christmas", when Linus recites the Bible story of Jesus birth from the gospel of Luke.

He says, "'8And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. 10And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. 11For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. 12And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. 13And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, 14Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.'"   "......That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown."

Yes, that IS what Christmas is all about.

1 comment:

Jim said...

There are one or two (never shown) movies about Jesus' birth. They're terrible, which should explain why they're not even shown in most churches. My favorite Scrooge is from the British (Dickens WAS British, you know)version, Alastair Sim. And I prefer the non-colorized version.