Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pumpkin Patch

I will share a secret with you.  Saturday I went to my first pumpkin patch.  I've read about them, seen pictures about them and driven past them but never went to one.  So when Dann called and asked if I wanted to go along with them, I was thrilled.

When the boys were little and up to and including the age of pumpkin carving and trick or treating, I didn't know about pumpkin patches.  We bought pumpkins at the grocery store or at a farm stand.  Brought them home, cut them out and set them outside with a candle inside.  Occasionally the pumpkins were stolen or smashed, but usually within two to three weeks, they shriveled up as rot set in. 

Last year, we went to New York City towards the end of October.  I had always wanted to go to Chelsea Market, home of the Food Network.  The pumpkin carvings and displays we saw were awesome.


















These are photos of Chelsea market.  The carvings were so beautiful.  



Anyway, we went to Horse Sleigh farm in New Jersey.  They had lots of attractions but first we took a hayride out to the pumpkin field. It made us laugh.  We could have walked, but wanted the hayride experience. We sat on hay bales for the short ride.  It was a hoot! 






We tromped around about 5-6 acres inspecting the pumpkins.  Dann and Micah overturned almost every pumpkin out there. 





Katie found two she liked rather quickly, 

and we found this green one covered in weird bugs











Finally we had our bounty,

Then we spent some time visiting the chickens, feeding the goats and watching them (not the goats, the farmers) shoot ears of corn at a truck  - very unusual pastime!  All in all, it was a lot of fun.  I wish I had known about these places when the boys were little - they'd have loved it!

Oh - and I lost at rummy AGAIN when we got home.  Must be the cards, it couldn't be me!

No comments: